For this deployment, we installed the openJDK:
openjdk version "1.8.0_222"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_222-8u222-b10-1ubuntu1~18.04.1-b10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.222-b10, mixed mode)
Funny enough we have been using the Oracle JDK for all our other deployments.
Aside: we are concerned about using Oracle JDK v8 and the new licensing for future deployments.
Update: As suggested by Matt, I did review the permissions and ownership on the DB files (and all files) and they look correct. I also deleted the work folder. No change. I don't think it is an issue with permissions as the log shows the database starting, etc. I have commented out the store in other deployments and it has worked as expected.
Perhaps one thing interesting is that even though the application appears stuck the log continues to be updated that the MQTT connection cannot be established. This would indicate at least the server is perhaps working as expected.